Sunday, July 18, 2004

 

Robert Byrd on MEET THE PRESS

Senator Robert Byrd of West Virginia on today's MEET THE PRESS..........


---------------------------------------------------------------



MR. RUSSERT: Why would you say our commander in chief is a dangerous leader?
SEN. BYRD: He doesn't like to answer questions. He doesn't like to build a consensus. He doesn't like consultation. He is a man who's governed by his instincts, he says. That's fine. I don't believe, however, that we should have a national leader who is governed by his instincts.


................


MR. RUSSERT: Would that, however, make Iraq a haven for terrorists if we were to abandon it?
SEN. BYRD: It is already a haven for terrorists. It was not before Mr. Bush attacked this country that had not provoked this country by an attack........


................


MR. RUSSERT: .....You've worked with 11 presidents. Is that any different than with the previous 10 presidents?
SEN. BYRD: It's very different. I have never seen such secrecy. I've not--I have never experienced such a feeling of disdain for the Congress by this administration. And this is what I've been talking about. We saw it--I see it in the Appropriations Committee, where the administration continues to try to seek more power, grasp more power. This administration does not like oversight by the Congress. And it is exceedingly dangerous. I've never seen anything like that in my experience. Nixon...
MR. RUSSERT: Nixon had secrecy.
SEN. BYRD: ...had secrecy. And some of his people are in this administration: the vice president, the secretary of defense, former secretary of the Treasury, Mr. O'Neill.
MR. RUSSERT: And this is worse?
SEN. BYRD: Far worse. I've never experienced anything like this. I've never felt as afraid of what-- where we're headed as I feel now.


---------------------------------------------------------------


Read the entire interview here.



<< Home